Sep 18, 2011

Book Review: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

A group of teenage beauty queens was on plane going to some tropical destination, But sadly, their airplane had another idea crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner. They struggles to survive and hope for a grand rescue that eventually becomes pointless.



In most ways was humorously written, it's somewhat a mix of LOST, but the cast are beauty queens. The first few parts are kinda off for me because the author narrates everyone's point of view which gets me a bit off track and before every chapter there's like a "commercial break" which I think is not necessary (I think the author would really want to make it look like the book as a one whole show). I was just skipping and going to the next chapter. The girls are totally quirky, their really funny and some of them are really just brainless LOL. It had me laughing at some parts. The girls are not what you think they are, one of them is a lesbian, there's a gay one and a cursed wild girl. (I don't want to be a spoiler too much! LOL) Although not all of them survived, they are less than15 in the island and surprisingly they used each contestants ability to survive, like fishing, weaving etc. They are really good at it until a so called group of pirates came to their shores, which is apparently they are the cast of a reality TV show of their same network (really weird!). So just guess what happens, girls meets boy, boy canoodles with the girls, kiss with the girls yada yada.

Here's one part of the story that made me laughing hard. Here' the scene where, they are already in the sialnd and yet they are still practicing for the pageant.

"Tiara, Ms. Mississippi right?" 
Tiara stared. "Is that my question?" 
"It is a question I wanted to make sure I got your name right." 
"Oh. Hi y'all! I'm Tiara Destiny Swan from Jackson Mississippi, which is spelled M-I-double-S-I...um..shoot." 
"Tiara.." Adina had lost all steam. "What's your favorite color?" Tiara's eyes darted left and right in fear and her smile was strained. "Um. Thank you. I personally believe that we have a duty such as..as Americans..to help other people who are not Americans such as the peoples of the China and the Alaska and the freedoms we enjoy in our great nation and such and that is my opinion which I personally believe will make us stronger nation. Thank you."
Adina squeezed her hands against her head. "what are you even saying?! You just made my brain die a little. You know, people, being beautiful isn't enough."
Tiara look confused.

LOL!

So anyway, I've been reading this book for 2 weeks now, which is really really long for me! I usually finish a book in 5 days time. At first I though the book was very shallow (maybe this is the reason why I kept putting it down!), beauty queens stranded on an island struggling to survive etc. But as I was in the middle, I find it more of a chic-lit, a light read and funny, nothing that will make your head hurt.

Over all the book has a lot of girl power(and I mean a lot!), sisterhood, humor, sarcasm and a whole lot of fun and quirkiness! I recommend this book to all of the girls out there regardless of the age. Be ready for a whole lot of giggles and laughs.

Have you read this? Let me know what you think!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment