Oct 14, 2011

Book Review: Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Haunting VioletHaunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Violet doesn't want to disobey her "maman", so she helped with the family business- contacting the dead. But her "maman" doesn't really have the gift, they fool grieving people into thinking they're really talking to their dead relatives. Her mother is a pro at doing seances and adding effects to each session, pretending to be possessed, moving the curtains with strings etc. But violet didn't know she literally had the gift, not until when they were invited by a peerage on the other side of the country. A ghost kept appearing before her , whom they thought had drowned, but she knows better, she investigated and found out that spirit has been murdered and now it's up to her to find out who is her murderer or murderess. With spirits keep appearing before her and trying to make contact with her, she struggles to concentrate on how to properly manage her gift and solve the mystery.

I'm recently reading alot of paranormal stories, one of my favorite category. The setting of the story is 1800's, just imagine how easily they fool people that they contact the dead, just a little effect here and there, they'd have people on their toes instantly. I love how my mind imagine the setting, the petticoats, horse drawn carriages, mansions. The author didn't get into much of into the details, but that's fine, my mind get to work. overall the story is okay, easily paced, not too much action, but keeps the story going. I gave it 3 stars because there's nothing special to it(I think I'm pretty generous), aside from the setting which I thinks adds to the mystery of the story. IMO. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment